Workers' Liberty #54
A programme to beat racism
The Alliance for Workers' Liberty organises socialists to fight for working-class solutions to the crisis. If we do not, then black people, Jews and foreigners will be scapegoated; the working class will be split along ethnic lines; and we will all lose - black and white.
Socialists must be part of the basic organisations of the working class, the trade unions and the Labour Party and help to turn them outwards to campaign on the estates and streets.
- Jobs for all! Cut the work week to 35 hours; create useful new jobs by restoring and expanding public services; provide training and re-training at union rates of pay. To pay for this: tax the rich, cut arms spending, take control of the big banks and financial institutions.
- Restore the Health Service and other public services.
- Jobs, training or education for all youth, with union rates of pay or an adequate grant.
- A decent home for everyone! Demand government money to enable local councils to undertake a crash programme of compulsory purchase of empty properties, renovation, and house-building, to create new homes at affordable rents.
- Scrap the immigration laws! Open the doors to asylum-seekers! No more deportations!
- Fight for real equality in employment and housing. Council-house allocation by need, not by race under disguise of a 'sons and daughters' policy. Special training programmes to ensure real equality in employment for ethnic minorities.
- Equality in the labour movement. No toleration for racist prejudice: special campaigns to recruit and integrate ethnic minority workers.
- Labour movement support for black communities' self-defence; united black and white workers' defence squads to beat back the fascists.
The labour movement must stand up and fight!
That is the only way to beat New Labour, the capitalists and the racists.
Help us fight in the labour movement for these ideas.
Join the AWL.
Back to the contents page for this issue of Workers' Liberty
Back to the Workers' Liberty magazine index
[ Home | Publications | Links ]